Wednesday, August 09, 2006

in which the whole thing collapses

Went to the SAM film series to see How to Steal a Million, an utterly harmless caper film, starring Audrey Hepburn and Peter O'Toole. Lovely set design by Alexander Trauner.
final shot: the protagonists drive offscreen, accompanied by a crane shot.
Spent five days babysitting my Fake Niece and Fake Nephew. Among our entertainments were a Three Stooges program at the Grand Illusion: three in a row are about enough for me, and 8 was too many for my Fake Niece, but there was enough hilarity to make it worthwhile. One other kid there, and she and her dad left midway through the 2nd short: they were expecting Shemp, maybe? (Who was actually featured several shorts later, to the puzzlement of my Fake Relatives.) Otherwise, the audience, as usual, consisted of several single men sitting by themselves, and apparently content to let us do all the laffing. The kids did not show an increased tendency to poke one another in the eyes afterwards.
Also went to NWFF to see Bazi (translated as "The Play" although I think simply "Play" would be more accurate). The Fake Nephew was enthralled; the Fake Niece was slightly more concerned with her lack of popcorn. We sat way in the back so that I could read the subtitles to the Fake Niece, but a man sat one row in front of us and was treated to my interpretive performance. There was an astonishing shot of a game of catch played over a wall, shot from directly above. My Fake Nephew let out a gasp, as he is really into point-of-view. Great performance from an enchanting little girl.
Final shot: close-up of protagonist.
We also indulged in many episodes of wartime Looney Tunes (a budget DVD that also contains a Tex Avery Hollywood star parody, for which I had to explain virtually every gag--who knew Garbo was famous for having big feet?), Season 2 of Gilligan's Island, and some absolutely dreadful King Features' Popeye cartoons, which I finally allowed to be played only when I was making dinner or taking a bath--I'd brought them some Max Fleischer Popeyes some months back, which were a huge hit, and their mother bought them a 3-disc set of these things, thinking they were All the Same.
Also saw Lemming at the Varsity...and here I left off writing on the 9th of August, and can no longer remember what I was going to say. I liked Lemming. Wish I remembered what I was going to say about it....This is exactly why I'm supposed to be doing this thing, so I don't let these movies vanish in the recesses of my brain. And the final shot thing--it's like the punch line of a joke. If I have that, then I can work backward and recreate the whole thing (or reimagine it better); without it, the whole thing disappears. I'll try to get this going again soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home